Furious Fan Boys

The Best Star Wars Easter Eggs

The Star Wars movies are filled with little Easter Eggs that you normally have to go frame by frame to see. Some, like the infamous Return of the Jedi tennis shoe (more on this below) are impossible to see. Others, such as E.T. in The Phantom Menace or the Millennium Falcon in Attack of the Clones, are easier to spot. Below you’ll find five of the best Easter Eggs in the Star Wars films, along with a bonus one.

E.T. in The Phantom Menace

When Spielberg released E.T. the Extra Terrestrial in 1982, Star Wars fans were able to catch not only Elliot playing with figures from The Empire Strikes back, but E.T. himself encountered someone from “home” when he passed a kid dressed as Yoda on Halloween.

Flash forward 17 years and Spielberg’s friend George Lucas gave his pal a nod in Episode I. When the vote for no confidence in the senate happens, look towards the lower left corner of the screen to see three delegates from E.T.’s planet.

YT-1300 in Attack of the Clones

In Episode II, you can catch not one but two YT-1300 transports (the same ship as the Millennium Falcon). They can be seen to the left of the screen when Anakin and Padme are arriving on Naboo.

Kitchen sink in Revenge of the Sith

The opening Battle of Coruscant in Episode III featured so many elements that ILM tossed everything into it, including the kitchen sink…literally. At the very beginning as Obi-Wan and Anakin’s fighters are flying through the battle, a Repulic cruiser destroys a Seperatist ship. As that ship blows up, bits are flying off including one that smashes into the Republic ship. That piece is actually a kitchen sink.

Outrider in A New Hope

This one can only be seen in the Special Edition of Star Wars. As Luke and pals are entering Mos Eisley, you can see Dash Rendar’s ship the Outrider (from Shadows of the Empire) taking off and leaving the spaceport.

Han’s grope in Return of the Jedi

At the end of Return of the Jedi when Leia is shot, Han props her up in the corner of the entrance to the shield generator. As he does this, Han gives his future wife a little tryout.

Bonus: R2D2 in Star Trek

In 2009’s Star Trek, ILM gave a little nod to the Star Wars saga. When the Enterprise arrives at Vulcan there’s a shot where the camera is looking over Pike’s shoulder. If you look to the left of the viewscreen you’ll see a shiny object flying through space. That’s R2D2.

Regarding the famous Return of the Jedi tennis shoe…

One of the most famous legends about Star Wars is the presence of a tennis shoe in Return of the Jedi. While this was apparently fixed in the 1997 Special Edition; they did actually exist in the original version; although they are close to impossible to see. A 2003 issue of Star Wars Insider Magazine delved into this legend, and this is what they had to say complete with quotes from the effects artists who did it:

To the untrained eye, one on-screen ship from RETURN OF THE JEDI might look less like the Millennium Falcon that something far more ordinary – a tennis shoe – but it played its part in arguably the greatest space battle ever filmed. The pitched warfare over Endor was the most demanding assignment George Lucas had presented to the artist at Industrial Light & Magic up to that time, and it remains the standard by which all others must be measured. That a flying tennis shoe could remain unseen amid the tumult and chaos of some 50 ships careening into combat is a testament to the acheivement of former ILM effects virtuoso Ken Ralston, who supervised the sequence…..

…..Which brings us back to Ralston’s tennis shoe – among other things – and the fact that it’s an amazing accomplishment just to see how many ships there are buzzing around the moon of Endor, or how many ships there seems to be. “I was always trying to stick stuff into shots,” Ralston laughs. “JEDI has my tennis shoes and also a yogurt container as part of the ships in the background! Who would know? It’s like there’s all this stuff going on – and I thought, ‘Hey, it’d be fun.’ It was my way of just saying, ‘See what you can get away with?’ Some people noodle this stuff so much, fretting about it, but it’s like, you know, you can’t tell what this stuff is – just stick it out there!”

33 Comments
  • GhostSteven
    June 25, 2010

#1

It’s the Outrider. Dash’s ship is called the Outrider.

• Sharon
      June 25, 2010

#2

WHOMEVER ya are…def props for correction! ^.^

• Fanboy Staff
      June 25, 2010

#3

Fixed, nice catch good sir!

• SizroSpunkmire
    June 27, 2010

#4

True story. In Return of the Jedi during the music scene with Sii Snoodles in Jabba’s palace, there’s a split second where the Twi’Lek femails right boob pops out of her costume as she gives the chain a good yank. (13:11 mark on my copy)

Picture here: http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1718/chickj.jpg

• k2 herb
    June 27, 2010

#5

Han Solo is such a playa! Woop woop… don’t hate.

• Jason
    June 28, 2010

#6

I can’t see half the shit you guys just pointed out. Use an arrow or a circle or something.

• Keval
      June 28, 2010

#7

I agree with Jason.

• klippoth
    June 28, 2010

#8

Another good one is the R2D2 glued on the underside of the alien mothership in Close Encounters of the Third Kind…

• Doddy
    June 28, 2010

#9

I got to see a load of the models used in the first four StarWars films at a show in London. The model of the huge Superstar Destroyer in the ROTJ Battle of Endor (you know, the one that got its bridge flown into and speared the Death Star?): it was 4ft long, made out of period plastic construction kits all glued together and somewhere on the top-rear of the ship is a 1″ high plastic GI-Joe, upper torso sticking out of the superstructure, waving… Good times!! LOL

• Medisoft Reports
    June 28, 2010

#10

I want to see a video of the flying tennis shoe!!

• K2 incense
    July 1, 2010

#11

flying tennis shoe, that’s funny! I don’t know how anyone spotted some of these things.

• bulk k2
    August 29, 2010

#12

my favorite: han’s grope

• Michael
    October 6, 2010

#13

in Episode VI you can spot an American Astronaut walking around in the Cantina in Mos Eisley

• Rob Jewell
    December 19, 2010

#14

There are so many other good ones too. Like in the original (episode iv) you can see C3P0’s Levis through his costume a few times when he stretches. The YT-1300 shows up several times much clearer, and closer, in other parts of both episode I and II.

• Nofeeblechrist
    December 23, 2010

#15

Don’t forget the Storm trooper head bump:

• Fanboy
    December 24, 2010

#16

In the beginning of Episode IV, when Darth Vader has boarded Lea’s ship, he throws a rebel trooper that he just choked to death against a bulkhead. You can see the trooper put his arms up to protect his face when he hits the wall.

• Xtian
    January 7, 2011

#17

I can’t see the sink -_-b

• WillJohn68
    January 17, 2011

#18

I can’t see the kitchen sink, or the YT-1300 transports, or R2-D2 in the “Star Trek” shot. Circles, arrows and/or close-ups would be helpful.

• botzi
    January 18, 2011

#19

ur kidding rite these pix show nothing of what u say they do. maybe if u circled the objects in question i looked and just saw blury pics lame fail

• TiggoBittie
    January 23, 2011

#20

Are y’all blind? Just look.

• Murphey
    January 24, 2011

#21

In Episode I, while Waddo and Qui-Gon are walking around Mos Espa, you can see the pod from 2001: A Space Odyssey in the back right, among other scrap and junk.

• ryannosaurus
    January 29, 2011

#22

I think many of us commenters are confusing film gaffes with Easter Eggs… just saying.

• Luthorian
    February 14, 2011

#23

And here I thought an easter egg was an elliptical hollow chocolate ball wrapped in shiny foil… how stupid of me…

• K.H.
    February 15, 2011

#24

I knew that had to be Dash’s ship! I played that game for the 64 all the time, loved it still do. Always saw that ship and thought hey you know that looks just like the Outrider from that star wars game. I actually didn’t care about SW at all until I played that game back as a kid in the 90’s. It was the only game I had for like a year when I first got my 64. Then I was interested in the movies. Awesome.

Now that I think about it, I will never anticipate anything so intensely as I did as an 10 year old kid about the N64 coming out. Ever. Even though I thought SW was lame as hell at the time, the console changed my mind. And YOU KNOW I watched goldeneye too!

FuriousFanBoys is hiring