Furious Fan Boys

Ranking the Star Trek Movies

One of the biggest arguments among fanboys is which Star Trek movie is the best and how all of the others rank behind it. Well, we tackled this challenge to provide you with the definitive list of the eleven current Star Trek movies; although only ten of them deserve to be ranked…you’ll see why below.

#1 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Duh? Is there a better Star Trek movie than Wrath of Khan? It’s not possible. Khan will never be topped. From Ricardo Montalban giving the performance of a lifetime, to the greatest hero-villain faceoff ever (especially when they never physically meet in the movie!), to an incredible space battle in a nebula; Khan has it all. Kirk yells, Spock dies, and you get the best Star Trek movie ever made.

#2 Star Trek: First Contact

First Contact is, in a way, the Next Generation’s Khan in that the best villain the series ever had returns. But it’s more than just a Khan retread. It’s the movie where the TNG crew came into their own out out of the shadow of the previous Original Series movies. It’s also great fun, and that final scene is a real treat for Trekkies/Trekkers as it shows how Star Trek began. Even if you’re not a TNG fan, this one is great.

#3 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

The most fun of all Trek films, by far. It’s a lighthearted romp after the serious life and death stories the previous movies dealt with. The mission to bring George and Gracie back to the 23rd Century is a classic scifi story that appeals to more than just Trek fans. “Hello, computer…”

#4 Star Trek

There are people who hate the “Abramsverse” Trek reboot, but not us. Roberto Orci, one of the two screenwriters, is a very hardcore Trekkie/Trekker and it shows. The movie is great fun and takes huge risks with the franchise (Vulcan) that pay off and open up endless¬†possibilities¬†for where the new movies can go. And the casting couldn’t have been more perfect. Karl Urban has DeForest Kelly’s Katra rattling around in his head. Lens flares aside, Star Trek is great.

#5 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

The goodbye to the Original Series cast. Nick Meyer returned to send off the crew in a final adventure that was meant to mirror the end of the Cold War. Roddenberry’s apparent hate for the film is the stuff of legend, but Star Trek was always best when it dealt with real-world issues by telling the stories masked as scifi. And the Undiscovered Country does just that while wrapping it up in an epic final adventure for Kirk and crew.

#6 Star Trek: The Motion Picture

The Motion Picture really isn’t appreciated as much as it should be. It’s not as whizz-bang exciting as Wrath of Khan, but you need to understand that they were going for more of a 2001: A Space Odyssey feel as opposed to a Star Wars feel. Jerry Goldsmith’s score for the Motion Picture is legendary. That scene where he spends eight minutes making sweet love to the Enterprise is among the greatest pieces of film music ever composed.

#7 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Search for Spock is the middle part of “The Trilogy” and while it is one of the weaker Trek films, it has its moments. If you do not get a huge lump in your throat along with a huge smile on your face when Spock says “Jim. Your name is…Jim”, you simply are not a Star Trek fan.

#8 Star Trek: Generations

Generations is a mess, but a sometimes entertaining mess. It’s a real transition movie where the TNG crew goes directly from the TV series into the movies; complete with the same uniforms and sets (it was filmed right when the series wrapped). The one lesson the movie has taught everyone? Never let Troi drive!

#9 Star Trek: Insurrection

Insurrection isn’t a horrible Next Generation…episode. It’s just not a great movie. As a sixth or seventh season two-part episode, it would’ve been pretty good. It’s just not big enough to earn its place as a full Star Trek movie. True TNG fans should enjoy that the movie got Riker and Troi back together, finally.

#10 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Before 2002, Star Trek V was the most reviled Star Trek movie. Kirk and pals go to the center of the galaxy and meet God! There isn’t a rolleyes.gif big enough for this one. It’s goofy and dumb, but at least Jerry Goldsmith shines once again.

Not ever deserving to be ranked among “Star Trek” movies: NEMESIS

Nemesis sucks. Words fail to fully describe how horrible and insulting this piece of crap is. It makes me physically ill to watch it. The only thing as insulting as this was the final episode of Enterprise, “These Are the Voyages…”

17 Comments
  • TheReviewer
    July 21, 2010

#1

While I liked First Contact, did cochran’s assistant kinda ruin it for anyone else?

• Jack
    July 25, 2010

#2

I disagree with the Order entirely.
    The order should be:
    1. Star Trek (New. Brilliant reboot)
    2. Star Trek- The Wrath of Khan (2). I am and always shall be… your friend.
    3. Star Trek- The Undiscovered Country (6) Best conclusion to the Klingon/Soviet metaphor
    …4. Star Trek- The Voyage Home (4) Just for plain fun
    5. Star Trek- The Search for Spock (5) Great middle movie. Bad Klingon villain
    6. Star Trek- First Contact -Despite completely screwing up ST lore and killing Picard’s only family for no reason
    7. Star Trek- Insurrection- Was a double-sized TNG TV episode.
    8. Star Trek- The Final Frontier (5) Oh Bill. Why?
    9. Star Trek- The Motionless Picture. Borrrrriiing.
    10. Star Trek- Nemesis. At least it was interesting to watch. Generations was just bad. And a terrible death for Kirk. Terrible.

• Rendal
    August 6, 2010

#3

As for which order these movies should be in, that’s individual taste I think, but I do have to agree to the #1 spot.
    However…Nemesis doesn’t deserve to be ranked as a ST movie?? What?? It wasn’t the best of them, but you put Kirk and Spock going to see God above it?? What about it is so horrible? It makes you ill to watch it? Come on, you just are upset that they killed Data. LOL I can’t even begin to justify your remarks about it. My opinion….should be ranked somewhere around 7 or 8.

• Joisey
    August 12, 2010

#4

In First Contact it was Cochrane himself who ruined it for me. Leave it to Hollywood to take a noble, dignified soul like the Zefram Cochrane we saw in TOS and turn him into a drunken, loudmouth, craven JERK who likes bad 1970′s rock music.

• RD
      August 21, 2010

#5

He’s more human in the movie, and from my perspective more of the “every man”. I love the way they approached his character in 1st Contact.

• Joisey
    August 12, 2010

#6

I have never seen the Abrams Star Trek, although I was inundated with the trailers. To this day I go my merry way without the least desire to see that reboot.

• Fanboy Staff
      August 12, 2010

#7

If you ever buckle and watch it I don’t think you will be disappointed.

• RD
      August 21, 2010

#8

Just remember…alternate timeline…anything is possible.

• THE BIG E

9: Star Trek: The Voyage Home
    10: Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    11: Star Trek: The Final Frontier

• royalbuff
    September 20, 2010

#10

Can someone please explain to me why Bones spends so much time on the bridge? Isn’t he meant to be presiding over sickbay or something…?

• Michiel
    December 27, 2010

#11

I didn’t like the reboot at all, it and nemesis are two movies star trek have could done without. I was disappointed by Insurrection, Nemesis wasn’t my cup of tea, but that last movie was down right insulting imho. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a completely bad film, I just think if writers don’t want to make another trek movie, they should make something else and make way for someone who does. I was completely dissapointed and am afraid trek won’t ever be the same again, wich I think is a shame.

• Quinn
    January 9, 2011

#12

1: Star Trek: First Contact
    2: Star Trek The Undiscovered Country
    3: Star Trek: Nemesis
    4: Star Trek: The Voyage Home
    5: Star Trek: Generations
    6: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
    7: Star Trek: Insurrection

I will stop there, as I do not like the other movies and will not include them in my preferences because I will never watch them again – movies 1,3 & 5 are simply too painful for me to watch. I will say that I have come around to the new Star Trek movie, though I still want the Vulcan homeworld back.

• londo66
    February 27, 2011

#13

Major BS on the ranking . The new Star Trek (2009) movie blew everything else out of the water. And as a hardcore TOS fan I am so proud of what that movie achieved. Wrath of Khan is no doubt number 2 as the best of the old ST movies, its a classic.

FuriousFanBoys is hiring