Furious Fan Boys

10 Reasons Why You Should Play Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online has been out for a year now, and no MMO in recent memory has made such a huge improvement in its first year. STO went from disappointing for some Star Trek Fans, to a great online version of the Trek Universe in less than twelve months. If you tried STO last year and haven’t played since many of the improvements have been implemented, or never tried the game out; here are ten reasons why you should play Star Trek Online.

The Foundry

Currently going through testing on the “Tribble” test server, the Foundry is going to change Star Trek Online in a big way. This tool allows players to craft their own missions and share them with everyone else. Star Trek fans have always been creative, and there are already some extremely impressive missions created using the tool. It won’t be long now, and you’ll be able to live out your favorite Kirk/Spock slash fiction in the game.

Featured Episodes

STO is currently in it’s third “season” of Featured Episodes. Every Saturday a new episode becomes available, and they’re really structured like an episode from one of the TV series. The current season deals with the Romulans and Remans, and the missions just keep getting cooler and with better rewards. A word of warning, however, there are currently so many people play Star Trek Online that the server has become a bit unstable on Saturdays with everyone trying to do the new episodes at once.

Diplomacy

Diplomacy was one of the big things missing from launch, and it’s one of the things that kept people from feeling that the game was really Star Trek; as it was mostly combat back then. Last year, they added Diplomacy missions that are great fun. Sure, running to DS9 to get a Jum Jum Stick for Kirayoshi O’Brien is just a fetch quest, but solving problems on Vulcan and mediating disputes between warring Cardassian captains is exactly the sort of diplomacy you see in the series and the missions handled them well.

New Sector Space

One if the big improvements in Season 3 was a revamp of Sector Space. It now really looks like you’re flying through space. If you get lost, you can still turn on the astrometrics, but you don’t need to and it all looks great. They also reduced the lighting in Sector Space so ships look much more like they’re really in space with most light coming from the ships themselves.

Improved Crafting

Crafting on Memory Alpha was initially a bit boring and didn’t give out that great of rewards. That’s changed when they revamped the crafting system to be a bit more involved, but more rewarding at the same time. They also improved the crafting rewards, with Voyager’s Delta Flyer shuttle becoming a crafting mission reward (you can currently buy the shuttle from the C-Store).

Real Klingon Content

At launch, the Klingon faction was pretty much entirely PVP focused. That’s changed in the last year. There’s a lot of Klingon PVE content now and the Klingons can even take part in the new featured episodes. If there’s one section of the game that’s seen the most improvement, it’s really the Klingon faction. With them taken care of, now we need playable Romulans.

Mission Replay

This is a minor feature that was added, but a lot of people wanted it and it’s actually pretty cool. By going to your Ready Room, and accessing the Mission Logs; you’re able to replay any mission that you’ve previously completed. This is handy if you missed anything in an earlier mission and want to go back to do it.

Dabo

One of the other big changes that got the community all excited was the addition of mini-games such as Dabo on Deep Space Nine. It’s not just the gambling that the player base was jumping up and down for, but they managed to get Chase Masterson to reprise her role of Leeta for the Dabo game.

Graphics Changes

Cryptic has been making big strides with the game lately, especially in the graphics department. In addition to the afore-mentioned Sector Space; they’ve also been working hard to make the game look more like Star Trek. One big example is a recent upgrade to Earth’s Space Dock. Not only was the exterior changed to look more like it should, the inside was designed as well.

Ship Interiors

While every ship had a bridge at launch, they didn’t have ship interiors. That changed last year with the ability to explore your ship, and some further upgrades to them are on the wish list (such as being able to launch a shuttle from inside your ship). They’ve also added new bridges, and how could any TNG fan not get excited when beaming onto the bridge above?

37 Comments
  • eetwo
    February 17, 2011

#1

Wow I’m definitely going back. I was fortunate to beta test and had some good times, but didn’t appeal to me upon launch.
    I think I was wrong not to!

• Johnathan
    February 17, 2011

#2

No offense but I have to completely disagree with the section labled “Real Klingon Content” specifically the statement “….With them taken care of, now we need playable Romulans.”
    While a small amount of items were made available for KDF players content-wise ( a few token clothing options and a new hand weapon availalable via KDF specific PVE). Only a few KDF missions were released, and they threw in a few token KDF ships ( not even all Klingon designs). As a whole the KDF faction is still severely lacking and nowhere near complete complete enough to be a viable option. In my opinion it would be a travesty to start a new faction when this lackluster state of the KDF is only just barely starting to be redressed.

• The_Grand_Nagus
    February 17, 2011

#3

“With them taken care of, now we need playable Romulans.”

Wow. Really good article up to that statement. The Klingons have definitely improved, and Cryptic deserves credit for that. However, they are most certainly NOT “taken care of” yet. Cryptic doesnt even think that.

• TheReviewer
    February 17, 2011

#4

I remember when the first trailers appeared for this and everyone, including myself commented on how bad it looked. I can’t speak for the gameplay, but it’s certainly prettier than it was.

• jj
    February 17, 2011

#5

No, this is STILL a horrible game, but thanks for being a shill for cryptic. You have to pay for most of the “good” content. Want the excelsior-class or ANY of the interiors? Have to pay for it. SCREW YOU CRYPTIC. I already paid 50 bucks for the game, im not paying 15 bucks MORE AND however much MORE AGAIN for content. Cryptic can go get screwed.

• Gerkuman
      February 17, 2011

#6

It’s not like you need any of that stuff, you just happen to not want to have to pay for it. All the stuff you mention are optional extras.

And you kinda lose the argument as soon as you start accusing people of being shills just becayse they’re being positive about something you personally don’t like,

• Delynandir

#7

I would like to point out that DStahl has already posted that he is working on trying to get all the ships but the Galaxy-X available via ingame means (whether it be crafting or emblems).

And FYI the game has improved majorly since launch, especially after DSTahl took over. Now unless you have been actively subbed since the anniversary and have been active on the forums I don’t see how you can even give any opinion on whether this game is “horrible” or not. Please climb back into your cave troll.

• jj
        February 19, 2011

#8

I will admit, i do like SOME aspects of STO and yes, a few of the aspects i did not like at launch have changed. But my points still stand. It is STILL a very weak MMO and not worth 15 a month.

• Chris
      February 22, 2011

#9

Then don’t your loss and btw you do not need any of the things you pay for to have a kick ass ship setup.

• Keith
    February 17, 2011

#10

Ten great reasons to play… And one glaring reason not to… NO MAC VERSION!!!

There is NO reason why in this day and age of powerful Intel-based Macs, running a rock-solid UNIX-based OS, that a game available on Windows is not ported over to the Mac. No reason, whatsoever… other than laziness on the part of the developer. Apple’s software developer’s tools make this process easier than ever. But until Cryptic gets over themselves and releases ST:O for the Mac, I will never know how truly great they think it is. As a die-hard, lifelong Trek fan, I’m pretty pissed about this, and a year later? Even more so. Having spoken with other Mac-using Trek fans, I am FAR from the only one who feels this way.

I mean, just look at TellTale Games. They’ve just released Part 2 of the greatest ‘Back To The Future’ game I have EVER seen. It’s practically cinematic in scope and storytelling, and went so far as to tap Christopher Lloyd to reprise the (voice) role of Doc Brown, and they released it for both Mac & PC… AT THE SAME TIME, no less.

• Aaron

#11

You CAN play on a Mac. But you will need to use boot camp and install windows 7 or XP. You will need to choose how much HDD space you want dedicated to Windows. I wouldn’t go smaller then 60GB in case you ever need to do more Windows only stuff as the OS takes around 30GB’s. You now have a dual boot machine. Just keep in mind using Windows will force you to install free virus scanners on the Windows boot. OS X won’t need them though. As far as just having a MAC version without dual boot for STO its “dead in the water”.

• Robert

#12

How about the simple reason that most people do not use mac. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

when you do even make up 90% of the market share why would some waste time devloping a game for it. When I am sure not 100% of the 6.2% of the user play games let alone star trek. To quote spock

“The needs of the many out way the needs of the few”

• KriskrosNolan

#13

I have been playing STO from the start, and i have to say, that it has changed so much… I totally agree with what has been said… so much has changed since I got the game, and I am looking forward to the next year of STO… the foundry is just amazing, and my imagination has gone wild on several occasions! As I am more of a Diplomatic person, I enjoyed the Diplomacy Missions and love the benefits of the Diplomatic Ranks… the Sector Space Revamp has made the game feel more Star-Trek like :) the prices are great (£10 a month)… and i haven’t payed £1 to get the Very Rare Mark XI Equipment I have to this day!

• war182

#14

S T O is awesome game and we are ready for Romulans , we have a blast droping klingons in pvp and comeing up we will have contested war zones ,,,good job sto

• Ch.

#15

Not played yet since being a wow player for years now, but it looks f* great!!

• Archer

#16

Those are your 10 reasons why???…ok i guess those go against the 1001 reasons WHY you should NOT play this game!!
    Reason one,and the top most…CRAP STORE!!!
    Get a life you fanbois,stop enabling craptic,they are FAIL
    And they will drive StarTrek Name in the mud,they are going to milk us Startrek fans money until YOU fanbois stop enable them

• Zoid

#17

You probably had a point here somewhere, but I didn’t take it in as I was too busy laughing at you using ‘fanbois’…

• Archer

#18

Glad you liked it…but my point only got lost because they are SOOOOOOO many against Craptic…anyone would loose his point.
        I have to admit,Sto came a long way,yes…it is far better then before,yes
        But,would i recomend it to my friends? Hell no!
        The only thing that keeps me playing and not ruin my emersion (yes i play it because i am a Startrek fan and i got me a lifetime,and i want to get an Excellsior and show to the idots that spent money on the crap store) is that i look at it not as STO but as STTPO (StarTrek Theme Park Online),and before you flame me because of it,just think.
        What do STO and Disney world have in common?
        Both have Past,Present and Future of their own IP
        Nough said

• Jeremy Conrad

#19

They’ve already said that they will be making ALL C-Store ships except the Galaxy X available in-game via badges or crafting soon.

• Thor

#20

I was in beta, and I got a lifetime sub when it originally launched. After playing for a bit, I pretty much left the game. I figured I’d give it a while to improve before I tried it again. Based on this article it looks like I should return and give it another try. Hope the improvements live up to your analysis of them…if so I think I’ll be playing for a while.

• Two of Twenty Six

#21

STO has made great strides since launch. Personally, I love the weekly episodes ( remember when TNG played every Friday night, and you literally couldn’t wait for it to come on? Oh yes, cudos to weekly episodes!). The changes to “pretty” the game up are amazing – really has the look of a space game now, Imo. Yes, i agree that the game really wasn’t ready at launch, but a year later, it is a fun game to play, and they are working hard on making it better. The author of the article, was wrong in one aspect though – The Klingon portion of the game still requires more content before starting on a new playable species ( or grouping of species’ ). For those who haven’t played since launch, you should give it a try.

• Thor

#22

It’s not that I haven’t played since launch…I played off and on for about 6 months, but I haven’t really experienced any of the episodic content. So I’m looking forward to that as well as the other improvements.

• Dax

#23

Completely disagree with klingon content being improved for pve. I’m a pve player and to get a klingon to general I had to spend most of my time completing similar missions over and over again. Some of the featured episodes that Klingons now get don’t make sense in the grand scheme of things and are not aimed at the Klingon faction, there’s also still times when if you bother to read the comments on the missions where it thanks the federation not the Klingon empire.
    I’m not knocking the game as such as federation are fun, however cryptic need to improve the klingon missions and make them more relevant before they even attempt to make a new faction or we’ll end up with one complete and 2 half attempts.
    I also agree with the comments about purchasing goods from c-store, that needs to be looked at as although some players only now pay around £10 for the game, some of us paid the higher band back in the past year and I begrudge paying more money to cryptic for items.

• jj

#24

so i signed in again to see if it has improved… NOPE. Same lousy episodes, same lousy attitude of the mods and same lousy graphics. Sorry, STO sucks. If it ever goes to F2P, THEN i might actually take the time and actually explore all the content it might have. But for 15 bucks a month, NO. And looking at the rankings it has among other MMORPGS, I can see im not the only one who thinks Cryptic has some major issues to take care of before it becomes a viable game.

• Thor

#25

Perhaps you should rephrase your statement there. What you said doesn’t make much sense….You won’t play the content now when you have to pay for it,…but you would play it if it were free?

Perhaps you meant that you don’t find the episodic content good enough to pay $15 per month…that does make sense.

• jj
        February 19, 2011

#26

You are correct. That is what i meant. I do not think that 15 bucks a month is worth the content they have right now. If they went to a F2P method im absolutely positive they would make more money and have more subs/characters ala LOTRO. There are a bunch of different ways of making money but i know too many people ( and im sure people on here do as well) that just won’t pay 15 bucks a month to play a game that is sub-par and that they’ve already payed for (IMO).

• JTaylor

#27

It’s even more fun if you belong to a good fleet. I’ve been doing the weekly missions in addition to other aspecs and it’s been time consuming, but fun. You have to be willing to dedicate chunks of time to progress with this game, especially the weekly missions.
    I don’t buy anything from the C-Store, instead I just go out and earn items and also trade/auction them as well. This has not inhibited my progression. I have a feeling that those who are complaining the most about STO have probably played it the least. I played the beta, the headstart and got a lifetime subscription last year so that I can play it on and off without any additional worries about cost. It’s been a good entertainment investment for me for over a year.

• Thorgald
    February 19, 2011

#28

Wow, just wow. I wonder if whoever wrote this actually play the game or are just readin the patch notes…

• KTagloH
    February 19, 2011

#29

i played it right from the 2nd month it went live to just before its season 3 update when my old computer died on me and was enjoying it then. from my time playing it last week when my new computer got up and running for the 2 days until it had some problems i enjoyed it even more even though i did come across a couple of things that i did not like. when my computer is running again i will resume playing it again. i found it worth my investment in it.

• Felcon
    February 20, 2011

#30

SOrry .. this game still need alot of content. let me see … 20days to max level and 5 days to complete the available “SPECIAL MISSIONS” … Oh and then replay them all again …

Oh did i forget they add new missions every 3 week on avarage wich takes 3 hours to complete … Oh yes 6 as i can play it again .. oh no 9 i can play it 3 times … Hoot .. oh yes its all Worth $15 … O.o

• Felcon
    February 20, 2011

#31

Oh yes ..did i forget

Roll another Toon and Rinse and Repeat .. the same content as your main …

• Scott B.
    February 21, 2011

#32

Game still blows chunks, true trek fans avoid it like the plague…

• Hawk
    February 22, 2011

#33

nothing is free to play if star trek did go free to play how would they make there money. i am sure free to play game make money. who give a crap about cash shop i learn to adapt to it i mean if i can spend like 400 500 updating computers whats 15 bucks a month going to hurt me :O. stop wining about games going free to play when they not

• stephen naples
    March 1, 2011

#34

Good fun game, does not take over you life like a lot of MMO’s try to do, great for the average 4 – 6 hours of game time per week when kids are in bed / wife allows the green card. Allows me to play a MMO game where I’m not forced to conform, not shouted at for being late / not getting the aggro and CC’ing the mob whilst decursing the lock and have not quite reached the required gear score by 0.02 and humilated by people from around the world. Plus I like guns not swords, I like space ships not horses, I like hot alien chicks and not cow ladies.

Hardcore players will find content limiting, but hardcore gamers destroy games very fast unless the game itself replaces their life like Warcraft, its what they want and not who Star Trek Online was designed for.

Star trek online is a good MMO in terms of it being a multiplayer game, People seem to think an MMO have to be life involving taking up weeks of someone life, must cripple relations ships, be very complicated, WOW AION anarchy online “insert more” are some examples of game that replace your life. Star trek online is not this kind of MMO, it is a beautiful piece of artwork that captures the essence of being in the star trek universe, and there is no denying this, I always enjoy flying around with the full effects on on my 24” 1080p monitor late at night.

I like the fact that this game is not trying to be what Warcraft is in terms of its amount of things to do, I am put of by games that are trying to be too good, Blizzard love themselves, they think they are the dogs left testy, they have done well, giving the addicts what they crave, warcrack, but for me simple needs Star trek online was a real eye opener.

Its one year old and has expanded superbly, considering is disadvantages at the start. Crytpics attitude is excellent in terms of notifications and client based communication, speaking openly alot about the games development and providing ways for players to help them test the content and improve it if needed. Cryptic are not a multi billion doller corp with the resources to flood the STO dev team with what Blizzard can produce, no is it trying to do anything that what eve online does.

If you have not played this game and you like SCI-FI (never mind trek) and you are not wanting to dedicate your life to a computer game them STO will more then give you what you are looking for, after a month of not playing you will log into to find many more things to do with out needing to make an alt.

So to wrap it up for the needs of the casual to medium gamer my score is
    8/10

Graphics are great, I mean they really honestly are fantastic,

The movement’s animations feel odd at first but you get used to them like all games of this type.

Plenty of content to work through and good stories to read, more combat orientated missions at lower levels but the practise is needed.

Every character is different, I play as a Female Trill Science officer who specialises in healing on the ground, but I specialize in polaron beams and chroniton torps that act as power drains and movement impairing effects, with many weapon types (beams cannons, heavy, dual, turrenta) and weapon types again (phazer, disrupter, polaron, plasma, tetchyon anti-proton) and torpedo types and mine types (the list goes on and on) that all have special effect like burns and drains and or debilitating effects you can easily spend a lot of time deciding what you like best.

My abilities I have all chosen all the abilities I use myself – something that any trek fan will love when inventing their character.

FuriousFanBoys is hiring