When it was revealed that Marvel would have Iron Man facing off against Cap in the third Captain America movie, everyone was cracking jokes about how Warner Brothers was in a panic over that movie’s ability to “kill” Batman V Superman. Well, today Warner responded in a huge way by revealing the entire DC Cinematic Universe line up through 2020. There are some big surprises here, so lets just look at the list that Warner revealed via their press release:
- “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)
- “Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)
- “Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot (2017)
- “Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)
- “The Flash,” starring Ezra Miller (2018)
- “Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa (2018)
- “Shazam” (2019)
- “Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
- “Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)
- “Green Lantern” (2020)
First off, there’s your Wonder Woman movie. That’s a massive “throwing down the gauntlet” to Marvel, who has been facing pressure to have a female-led superhero movie. Unless the second 2016 Marvel movie is something like Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, or Black Widow it looks like DC is beating them to that.
A two-part Justice League movie over two years? Where to I buy my tickets?
The Flash starring Ezra Miller is final confirmation that the DC Cinematic Universe won’t connect in any way to the Arrow-verse or the TV stuff at all. There were rumors that it could, but it looks like they’ve decided to keep things separate, unlike Marvel. For fans of the awesome Arrow-verse shows, this could be good news as they won’t be compromised for movie continuity.
Then of course there’s Aquaman (finally!), Cyborg, Shazam, and the big surprise…a new Green Lantern. As that one is 2020 it’s still a long ways away from being cast, but once we see who ends up in the role we’ll have a better idea what Green Lantern they’re using this time.
I loved Man of Steel. I think it’s one of the best comic book movies ever made, so I’m so hyped for this line-up. Even Marvel Civil War can’t dampen my excitement for this!