The Disney Store has begun taking pre-orders for The Force Awakens on Blu-Ray with a Spring 2016 placeholder date, and it gives some details on the specs.
The main release will be a Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital HD combo pack and these are the technical specs they list:
- Presentation: 1080p High Definition
- Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
- Sound: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA / English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital / French 5.1 Dolby Digital / Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
- Subtitles: English SDH, Latin Spanish, French-Canadian
- Running Time: Approx 136 minutes
- Rated PG-13
- Blu-ray: For Region A use (Americas, East and Southeast Asia, U.S. territories, Bermuda) only
- DVD: For Region 1 use (US and Canada) only
The specs seem pretty standard. The only thing missing would be a Dolby Atmos track, however Disney hasn’t yet supported the home version of Atmos on any of their releases so far.
Also, this doesn’t give any details on the special features included on the disc. Those details will likely be revealed closer to release. There is also no word (yet) on a Blu-Ray 3D release or a UHD Blu-Ray release.
Star Wars would be a perfect movie for Disney to kick off their 4K support with, so we’ll just have to wait and see.